in Haut Val de SèvreA Scottish castle

Castle of Cherveux

In the heart of the village of Cherveux, and visible from the road, it’s impossible to miss!

The visit is a strong point of this castle. A small slate at the entrance tells you the times and persons to contact to etablish a visit of the castle. The tone and settings are set: the visit will be authentic.

Guided tours in English can be proposed.

Why is it a must?

Listed as a Historic Monument.

Amazing architecture.

A visit provided by an enthusiast.

A Scottish castle

here !

The castle was built in the 15th century by Robert Cunningham, a “Scottish” captain who, after serving Charles VII, became captain of the guard of Louis XI. An extraordinary witness to the “Old Alliance”, signed in 1295.

A true 15th century fortified castle

du XV ème siècle

Enclosure defended by gun ports and surrounded by a wide moat.

Elegant construction in the form of an irregular pentagon, slender towers, drawbridge, keep, high roof, mullioned dormer window richly decorated with an embattled arch bearing the Cunnigham family crest.

On the 4th floor, a covered way offers a panoramic view of the village and the Niort plains.

A little piece history...

In 1436, Marguerite of Scotland married Louis XI. In 1440, Louise CHENIN, married a Scotsman named Robert of CUNNINGHAM, captain of one of the fifteen companies of ordinance, instituted by Charles VII at the end of the Hundred Years’ War.

With the generosity of Louis XI and the feats of arms of Cunningham, he had the castle built around 1470.

In 1558, Louis de St Gelais was the owner, appointed Lieutenant General of Poitou. The castle was besieged several times by Catholic troops.

In the 18th century, a descendant of the Saint-Gelais family, Louis DU PLESSIS-CHATILLON married Catherine COLBERT (great niece of the minister).

The castle was sold as a national asset to Pierre ALLONEAU. His descendants sold the castle to Lucien Redien in 1931, after it had been classified as a historical monument in 1929. The restoration began in 1932, thanks to the care of the historical monuments.

Since July 2021, it has been the property of Mr. and Mrs. Eckel, who are passionate about medieval history and have fallen in love with the castle.

Before going to the castle

4 things to know


In the heart of the village of Cherveux.


It’s easy to park.


Average duration of the visit 90 minutes.


Open Saturday and Sunday from 04/01 to 10/31/23, by appointment only.