In 459, the monk Agapit founded a monastery near Lake Vauclair, a lake that has since disappeared. A small town called Saint Saturnin is developing all around. Around 480, Adjutor moved to the monastery and took the name of Maixent. Abbot in 500, Maixent was venerated as a saint after his death and the town took his name. With the establishment of the military school, the town then took the name of Saint-Maixent-l’École on July 28, 1926.
Saint-Maixent-l'ÉcoleBordered by the Sèvre Niortaise